Wednesday, October 07, 2026

When Quiet Became My Kind of Rich

There was a time when I thought luxury meant things. A beautiful home, a nice car, international holidays, good clothes, fine dining and a bank balance that didn't make you perform mental mathematics before clicking Pay Now. I still appreciate all of those things, by the way. I haven't suddenly become a monk. But somewhere between growing older, starting over, making a few questionable decisions, making a few very good ones, and collecting enough life experience to qualify for my own TED Talk, my definition of luxury changed. Today, luxury is peace. And surprisingly, it is one of the hardest things to afford.

Because peace often requires you to let go of things you once desperately wanted to hold on to. There was a phase of my life when I felt compelled to explain everything—why I made a decision, why I left, why I stayed, why I changed my mind, why I said no, why I didn't call, why I chose myself. I wanted people to understand me. Now, I'm increasingly comfortable with the fact that they don't have to. At some point, you realize that explaining yourself repeatedly is exhausting, and frankly, I have better things to do. Like drink my coffee while it's still hot. Not everyone needs the director's commentary to understand your life. Sometimes, the trailer is enough.

I've also learned that walking away is an achievement too. We celebrate staying. Staying in difficult jobs, difficult relationships, uncomfortable situations and circumstances that slowly drain us. We stay because we've already invested too much time. We stay because people will talk. We stay because starting again feels frightening. But nobody really tells you that there is tremendous strength in leaving. There are moments when walking away is not weakness; it is clarity. You finally realize that just because you can tolerate something doesn't mean you should. I have learned that lesson the expensive way. But then again, some of life's best lessons come with rather unreasonable tuition fees.

My career has taught me a great deal about peace as well. I've spent years working, managing people, building businesses, solving problems, meeting targets, handling crises and generally being the person everyone calls when something needs fixing. There is something oddly flattering about being the person who can handle everything—until you realize everyone has started assuming you will handle everything. You keep taking more, doing more, fixing more and proving more, until one day you realize you're exhausted from constantly demonstrating that you're not exhausted. Ambition is important. Financial independence is important. Building a career is important. But no designation deserves your sanity, no salary deserves your self-respect, and no office deserves a permanent residency permit inside your head. Work should end when you leave work. The meeting should not continue in your brain at 11:47 p.m. while you're brushing your teeth.

Getting older has also changed the way I look at people. My circle has become smaller, but my life hasn't become smaller with it. In fact, it has become quieter, more authentic and considerably less complicated. At 20, you want a crowd. At 30, you want people who understand you. Somewhere in your 40s, you simply want people who don't give you a headache. That's growth. I don't need a hundred people around me. I want the ones who can sit with me in silence, laugh at completely inappropriate things, celebrate my wins without competition and tell me the truth without making me regret asking. My circle may be smaller, but the quality control is excellent.

Peace has also taught me not to react to everything. Not every message needs a response. Not every opinion needs a counter-opinion. Not every rumor needs a clarification. Not every person deserves access to your emotional bandwidth. And not every WhatsApp “Hi” followed by a suspiciously long pause deserves the anxiety of wondering what they want. Sometimes, silence isn't passive. It is a boundary. I no longer feel the need to attend every argument to which I have been invited. Some invitations can simply be declined. No RSVP required.

I've learned that being alone isn't the same as being lonely. There is a beautiful freedom in becoming comfortable with your own company. You stop waiting for someone else to make plans. You stop needing constant validation. You can sit with your coffee, your thoughts, your music and your own ridiculous sense of humor and actually enjoy the afternoon. You can travel, eat alone, watch a movie, dress up simply because you feel like it or stay home on a Saturday night without wondering whether Instagram is judging you. And perhaps most importantly, you realize that your life does not need a romantic partner to qualify as a complete life. A partner should add to your peace, not become your full-time project.

Starting over doesn't scare me the way it used to. I've started over more than once—with careers, relationships, places, plans, expectations and perhaps even different versions of myself. Starting over can feel humiliating when you're looking at it from the outside. But when you're actually living it, you realize something beautiful: you are not starting from zero. You are starting from experience. Every mistake came with information. Every disappointment came with clarity. Every difficult chapter taught you something. Every ending left you with a slightly stronger version of yourself. So no, I don't look at starting over as failure anymore. I look at it as editing. And after a certain age, you become very comfortable with the delete button.

My definition of success has changed too. At one point, success meant achieving more—more money, more recognition, more responsibility, more titles, more people knowing my name. Today, success looks very different. A peaceful morning. A healthy body. Financial independence. Meaningful work. A home that feels like home. People who genuinely care. Time with my family. A good meal. A long shower. Music I love. A phone that isn't constantly buzzing with problems. And sleeping at night without replaying an unnecessary conversation from three years ago. Honestly, that last one deserves a luxury tax exemption.

Maybe that's what growing older has really taught me. I don't want a dramatic life anymore. I don't want unnecessary drama disguised as excitement. I don't want relationships that require detective work. I don't want friendships based on competition. I don't want workplaces where politics is more organized than the actual work. I don't want to constantly prove that I'm enough. I don't want to chase people. I don't want to convince anyone of my worth. I want a life that feels good when nobody is watching—a life that doesn't need to look impressive on Instagram to feel meaningful in reality.

We live in a world obsessed with displaying success. Cars, houses, vacations, restaurants, designer labels and carefully curated photographs. But there is another kind of wealth that doesn't photograph particularly well: peace. The ability to say no. The ability to walk away. The ability to sleep without anxiety. The ability to sit alone without feeling lonely. The ability to lose something without losing yourself. The ability to wake up and genuinely like the life you're living. That's wealth. Real wealth.

And perhaps this is the strangest thing about getting older: you stop wanting a life that looks extraordinary to everyone else and start wanting a life that feels extraordinary to you. So yes, I still like beautiful things. I still enjoy dressing up, good food, good coffee, travel, music and all the little luxuries that make life fun. But these days, if you ask me what I really want, the answer is surprisingly simple. Give me a peaceful home, a healthy body, a handful of genuine people, work that doesn't consume me, a bank account that behaves itself, a good night's sleep and the freedom to say, “This no longer works for me,” without guilt, without fear and without preparing a 14-slide PowerPoint presentation explaining why.

Because at 41, I've finally realized something: peace isn't what you find after life becomes perfect. Peace is what you choose when you realize life will never be perfect.

And honestly, that is the kind of luxury I can finally afford.

And the kind I never want to give up.


Rab Rakha!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Quiet Became My Kind of Rich

There was a time when I thought luxury meant things. A beautiful home, a nice car, international holidays, good clothes, fine dining and a b...